Sunday, October 31, 2004

Halloween

I am a father of five kids and as such they love to be kids, go figure. Anyway I struggle every year with the whole Halloween thing. This year in particular I have struggled with it. I was talking about it with my nine year old and I told him that I think that it desensitizes children to think that evil is fun or somewhat fairytale like. As a Christian I wrestle with that. I ask myself "what is the heart of God in regards to children going out trick or treating when they don't realize the origins. As a father I desire for my children to hate what is evil and cling to what is good. I know that I used to trick or treat and I turned out okay, but for some reason I feel that the stakes are higher. Maybe it is maturity.....Maybe not. Anyway hopefully some day I will have a biblical argument for why I believe what I do regarding Halloween. For now though it will be based on "Hate what is evil and cling to what is good."

No comments: