Wednesday, March 15, 2006

To know God is to care for poor and needy

He judged the cause of the poor and needy; then it was well. Is not this to know me? Said the Lord. (Jer 22:16)

This is an extraordinary text which shows how God is understood in terms of social practice. Note well the text does not say that if one takes care of the poor and the needy, then one will get to know God. Nor does the text say that, if one knows God, then one will take care of the poor and needy. The two elements are not sequential nor are they related as cause and effect. Rather the two phrases, are synonomous. Caring for the poor and needy is equivelent to knowing God. That is who God is and how God is known. God is indeed a mode of social practice and a way of social relation.

Excerpt from an article called 'The practice of homelessness' by Walter Brueggemann




2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

I simply can not let you not recieve at least one comment.

Suprisingly, there are a couple of points I would like to discuss and debate with you, but this is not the forum.

However I will caution you with regard to getting too socially conscience. I became a "hard-ass" for a reason and although I am not accusing you of beginning to walk down a path, I want to caution you against it. My "hardass"ness is a reaction to that path.

CWG said...

Thanks man

This quote was from a book that I am reading and it was very inspiring to read that interpretation. My heart isnt hard toward this it is accually being softened.